skip to Main Content

CC Wins D1 East Title!

It didn’t slip away this time.

One year after bowing to Franklin in overtime in the MIAA Division 1 East final, the Concord-Carlisle girls lacrosse team withstood a late charge from Lincoln-Sudbury to win the sectional title, 9-8 on Thursday, June 11.

“This game started out the same way our game against Franklin did last year—we jumped out to a big lead,” C-C coach Paul Morrison said. “But this lead was bigger and L-S didn’t really get its response until the second half.”

Said L-S coach Bowen Holden, “Ever since the beginning of the season, we’ve been battling. They had to battle to get into the tournament, and then once they were in, they made a run I don’t think anyone expected. They did that because of their fight and attitude to never quit.”

After C-C (19-1-1) extended its lead to 8-3 with two quick goals at the start of the second frame, sophomore Courtney Quirk and junior Clara Bisson ignited the Warriors’ comeback. Quirk, who netted three of her four goals in the final 25 minutes, cut the team’s deficit to 8-5 when she scored goals with 18:27 and 17:16 remaining.

L-S (10-7-3) continued to fight in the ensuing minutes, as Bisson netted her second goal with 15:11 left before Quirk made it 8-7 when she snuck past the Patriots’ defense to beat C-C goalie Conley Ernst with 13:41 to play.

While the Warriors were finally able to beat Ernst, who made five saves, in the second half, none of it would have been possible if the team didn’t improve on draw controls after winning three faceoffs in the first half.

“Our main thing was we had to win the draws to get possession,” Bisson said. “That’s all it was—fight hard to get the draw—then wait for a great opportunity on offense and have good communication on defense. We just had to continue to fight hard and battle, which we did until the end.”

Although C-C eventually extended its lead to two when Hannah Dudley scored with 11:50 left, L-S regained momentum for the final stretch of play once Bisson buried her third goal of the game three minutes later. The Warriors had a scoring opportunity with 1:56 remaining, though Jill Farabaugh’s penalty shot gave the ball back to the Patriots after a false start call.

After a steal by Katherine Malone—who netted the first L-S goal early in the game—the team maintained possession with 1:14 to play. While the Warriors cycled the ball, they ultimately gave up possession with a turnover with 37 seconds left, which allowed C-C to waste the remaining time.

“L-S didn’t really get its response until the second half,” Morrison said. “They’re a great young team that works so hard, but at the end of the day, my defense worked its tails off. Brianna Stout is the leader of that core with Conley being the last resort, they just continued to work hard until the end and I’m extremely proud.”

Throughout the game, L-S was unable to capitalize on scoring chances while its goalie, Makayla Ward, did her best to contain the Patriots with six saves. Emily Gorman nearly scored off of a penalty shot with 16:26 remaining in the second half, though the junior’s shot hit the post and bounced wide.

Johanna O’Neil and Cassidy Hale led C-C with a pair of goals each, while Grace Andonian, Jenna Carlton, Lexi Goodhue, Catherine Gouchoe, and Dudley all netted lone goals in the win.

Back To Top